The College of West Anglia

Easy as Pi

In 2000 Jason King was made redundant from his job as a civil engineer, he decided to use it as an opportunity to change career and came to college to study in the subject of his passion, Computing.  Just 3 years later he graduated from the college with a BA in computing, after gaining some experience in the industry Jason then set up his own business called New IT Limited based on St John’s business park in Downham Market in 2009.

The company has grown from strength to strength and now supplies companies such as Siemens and Konica Minolta with ARM based Plug Computers throughout Europe.   

One of Jason’s main interests is distributing energy efficient products such as the Raspberry Pi.  The Pi is a small ARM embedded computer which is highly energy efficient compared to a standard PC.  In a bid to help the students become more aware of the latest generation of computers Jason has kindly donated 20 boards to the computing department at the college.

Jason said “I have enjoyed the opportunities that graduating through the college enabled me to have, and I do believe in giving back to the community. With the development of the Raspberry Pi board and the ethos behind the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I feel this is the perfect product and opportunity to do just that.”

Sue Moore, Programme Manager for Computing said “It’s very rewarding to see our students build successful careers after studying with us and on behalf of current students I would like to thank Jason for his donation which will enhance curriculum delivery.”