Welcome to the College of West Anglia
The College of West Anglia (CWA) is one of the largest and most successful education and training providers in the Eastern Region and amongst the top colleges in the country.
Find out More
Student services - what do we offer?
Admissions and customer service
How to apply
A Guide to Qualifications
Further Education Qualifications
|Levels||Qualification||14-16 Years||16-19 Years||19+ Years||Entry Requirements|
|1-3||City & Guilds||Some||Work Experience|
|3||AS/A2||5 GCSEs C or above|
|3||Extended Diploma||4/5 GCSEs C or above|
|2||Diploma / Certificate||GCSEs C/Ds|
|1||Introductory Diploma / Certificate||GCSEs D/Es|
Higher Education Qualifications for 18+
|Post Graduate||Appropriate Degree|
|Full Degrees BA/BSc including Diploma Higher Education||Appropriate level 3|
|Foundation Degrees||Appropriate level 3 or suitable employment experience|
|Higher National Certificate (HNC) Higher National Diploma (HND)||Appropriate level 3 qualification or relevant job role|
|City & Guilds||Relevant work experience or C&G level 3|
|NVQs 4-5||Relevant work experience or NVQ level 3|
- Available at levels 1 - 4
- Level 3 Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A Levels
- Focuses on a specific subject area
- Combines vocational and academic study
- Designed to give you the knowledge and skills you need for employment or higher education.
AS and A Levels
- The AS Level comprises three modules and is about 40% of a full A Level
- It is normally studied over one year
- The full A Level comprises six modules (three taken from AS Level)
- This is the second year of the course and is sometimes referred to as an A2
- Designed to prepare you for higher education and employment.
NVQ's and City and Guilds
- Designed to give you the skills you need to do a particular job
- Linked to a specific career
- Available at a range of levels.
Benchmark qualification for school leavers
Most undergraduate degree courses lead to a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) qualification.
Foundation Degrees and Higher National Diplomas (HND)
Foundation degrees and HNDs provide an alternative route for those not wishing to study for a full bachelor's degree. Shorter in study time, HNDs and Foundation degrees have a vocational focus. Students can progress to the final year of a degree programme.